We invite the submission of original manuscripts on any topics relevant to positive sexuality. We encourage submissions from diverse epistemological perspectives, and we welcome a wide range of quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches, as well as theoretical and conceptual essays. Alongside the work of scholars and students, we are interested in contributions from community, clinical, and other nonacademic professionals, especially contributions that help strengthen the connection between the study and practice of positive sexuality.
While the Journal of Positive Sexuality has a preference for shorter manuscripts (2,000–3,000 words), longer manuscripts up to 10,000 words will be considered. In preparation for submission, authors should observe the following guidelines:
- Manuscripts should have a clear sex-positive focus.
- Given the diverse readership of the journal, authors should write in a straight-forward and non-technical manner, avoiding jargon when possible. Manuscripts should be written such that they can be easily understood by scholars and professionals outside of one’s own field or discipline.
- Manuscripts should be written in a style consistent with the latest edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA). Please include DOIs for all references when available. Instead of endnotes, please use footnotes when necessary.
- All submissions must follow these formatting guidelines to avoid review and editing delays. Manuscripts not following this format may be rejected without further review.
New submissions should be emailed to email@example.com, and should include the following Microsoft Word attachments:
- A title page, including: (1) the title of the manuscript; (2) names, institutional affiliations, and contact information for each author; (3) the word count of the main manuscript; (4) a statement certifying that the submission has not been previously published and/or is not currently under review elsewhere; (5) any pertinent information about the approval or regulatory process for human subjects research; (6) any acknowledgements that the authors would like to include for publication.
- A fully-blinded manuscript, including: (1) the title of the manuscript; (2) a brief abstract, 100 words or less; (3) the body of the manuscript; (4) references
- Tables or figures can be submitted in separate files in either Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel format, or embedded in the manuscript. If tables or figures are being submitted separately, please provide the preferred location as a reference note within the manuscript. Check the formatting guidelines for other information about tables and figures.
Manuscripts will be reviewed initially by the Editor-in-Chief and/or Associate Editors. Appropriate manuscripts will then be sent out for double-blind peer review by at least two reviewers. While not always possible, the Journal of Positive Sexuality strives to return editorial decisions within two months of submission.
Editorial decisions may include: acceptance, minor revisions, major revisions, or rejection. In the case of requested revisions, authors will be asked to resubmit their revised manuscripts within two months. When submitting a revised manuscript, authors will also be asked to provide a detailed response to the reviewers.
Accepted manuscripts will be copy edited, and proofs will be sent to authors for correction and approval prior to publication.
To submit manuscripts for review or inquire about submissions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other questions, comments, or concerns, please email email@example.com.